The goal of the library is to automate common infrastructure tasks.
The Global Excel Automation PowerShell library is a series of scripts and module to facilitate certain infrastructure tasks such as:
- Deploy IIS web sites/applications to multiple servers
- Create single application package that can be deployed in multiple environments based on a central configuration store
- Validate the configuration of applications through a series of automated tests
- Configure Application Request Routing servers to load balance http web sites
- Efficiently provision SQL Server databases multiple times through usage of Hyper-V parent and differencing disks
- Database upgrade process when going from one version to another
- Create SQL Server database snapshot (i.e. before doing a database upgrade)
- Configuration of a database when restored in a specific environment
- Restore databases from Microsoft Data Protection Manager
- Create Hyper-V VMs based on a Sysprep parent VHDX
- Create Active Directory users and apply configurable security templates for group memberships
Version 188.8.131.52 released!
Changes included in this release:
New library to integrate with ScrumDo.com
Changes to libServiceBus.psm1
- Documented functions
- Added method to receive messages. It allows for both PeekLock and ReceiveAndDelete methods.
Documented usage for:
Version 184.108.40.206 has been released which contains the SharePoint list templates for the lists that are used in the different automations.
Version 220.127.116.11 has been released which contains several changes, including a new library to interact with Service Bus for Windows Server. See download page for list of all the changes in the release.
Version 18.104.22.168 has been released which contains the following changes:
Added functions documentation for libConfigurationDatabase.psm1
Added Get-ClusterVMResourceMeteringStatistics in libHyperVCluster.psm1
procedure in the Documentation section.
Version 22.214.171.124 released! Here's a list of notable changes:
Here's what changed in this release since version 126.96.36.199:
Added LoadBalancersClusterNodes table to store NLB/ARR cluster configuration.
Added migration logic to load existing configuration in SQL Compact database.
Added Type filed to ConfigurationSettings table. This is used in the Assert-EnvironmentConfiguration.ps1 script.
Modified existing scripts/libraries to use SQL Compact database to fetch configuration data:
Added new functions to delete various configuration data.
Set encryption method while creating the database.
Initial release available for version 188.8.131.52. Here's an overview of the changes included in the build:
-Configuration data migrated to SQL Compact database
-Password protected, encrypted using AES256 using a password hashed with SHA512
- Modified Deploy-Build.ps1 and Set-ApplicationConfiguration.ps1 to get the configuration data from the database
- Modified function libApplicationRequestRouting.psm1 that sets web front end nodes Offline/Online for an application in the load balancers
- Several new functions to modify and query the configuration data:
Version 184.108.40.206 has started today which includes a change from the XML configuration file to a SQL Compact database. This will allow the configuration database to be encrypted and facilitate basic CRUD operations in the configuration data.
The scripts can do the following:
- Deploy application code to IIS web front ends
- Configure IIS sites
- Configure Application Request Routing farms for web apps
- Create Hyper-V parent disks from databases restores from Data Protection Manager
- Create Hyper-V differencing disks from the parent disks with SQL data
- … And more!