The goal of the library is to automate common infrastructure tasks.
The Global Excel Automation PowerShell library is a series of scripts and module to facilitate certain infrastructure tasks such as:
- Deploy IIS web sites/applications to multiple servers
- Create single application package that can be deployed in multiple environments based on a central configuration store
- Validate the configuration of applications through a series of automated tests
- Configure Application Request Routing servers to load balance http web sites
- Efficiently provision SQL Server databases multiple times through usage of Hyper-V parent and differencing disks
- Database upgrade process when going from one version to another
- Create SQL Server database snapshot (i.e. before doing a database upgrade)
- Configuration of a database when restored in a specific environment
- Restore databases from Microsoft Data Protection Manager
- Create Hyper-V VMs based on a Sysprep parent VHDX
- Create Active Directory users and apply configurable security templates for group membershipsNews2014-05-05
Version 220.127.116.11 released!
Changes included in this release:
New library to integrate with ScrumDo.com
Changes to libServiceBus.psm1
- Documented functions
- Added method to receive messages. It allows for both PeekLock and ReceiveAndDelete methods.2013-11-28
Documented usage for:
Version 18.104.22.168 has been released which contains the SharePoint list templates for the lists that are used in the different automations.2013-11-15
Version 22.214.171.124 has been released which contains several changes, including a new library to interact with Service Bus for Windows Server. See download page for list of all the changes in the release.2013-11-13
Version 126.96.36.199 has been released which contains the following changes:
Added functions documentation for libConfigurationDatabase.psm1
Added Get-ClusterVMResourceMeteringStatistics in libHyperVCluster.psm12013-11-12
Published Getting Started
procedure in the Documentation section.2013-11-08
Version 188.8.131.52 released! Here's a list of notable changes:
Here's what changed in this release since version 184.108.40.206:
Added LoadBalancersClusterNodes table to store NLB/ARR cluster configuration.
Added migration logic to load existing configuration in SQL Compact database.
Added Type filed to ConfigurationSettings table. This is used in the Assert-EnvironmentConfiguration.ps1 script.
Modified existing scripts/libraries to use SQL Compact database to fetch configuration data:
Added new functions to delete various configuration data.
Set encryption method while creating the database.2013-11-06
Initial release available for version 220.127.116.11. Here's an overview of the changes included in the build:
-Configuration data migrated to SQL Compact database
-Password protected, encrypted using AES256 using a password hashed with SHA512
- Modified Deploy-Build.ps1 and Set-ApplicationConfiguration.ps1 to get the configuration data from the database
- Modified function libApplicationRequestRouting.psm1 that sets web front end nodes Offline/Online for an application in the load balancers
- Several new functions to modify and query the configuration data:
Version 18.104.22.168 has started today which includes a change from the XML configuration file to a SQL Compact database. This will allow the configuration database to be encrypted and facilitate basic CRUD operations in the configuration data.
The scripts can do the following:
- Deploy application code to IIS web front ends
- Configure IIS sites
- Configure Application Request Routing farms for web apps
- Create Hyper-V parent disks from databases restores from Data Protection Manager
- Create Hyper-V differencing disks from the parent disks with SQL data
- … And more!